Top Ten Most Popular Festivals in the World
Festivals are the best way to celebrate your feelings, relax your mind and to spend some best and joyful time. Every country in this world celebrates numerous festivals of their own, but there are few festivals which are attended by the people round the globe. We present you some top ten festivals in the world.
1. Snow and Ice festival: The Snow and Ice festival of Harbin, China is a very famous festival. In this amazing festival people make different sculptures from Ice and snow. This festival was originated from the Harbin’s in the year 1963, it was started from the traditional show of Ice lantern in the winters. This is the largest festival of snow and Ice in the world. The main attractions in this festival are the 20 feet long tower and the buildings which are made from the blocks of ice.
Date: 5th Jan– till the ice melts
Location: Harbin, China
2. Holi: Holi is a very famous and colorful festival which is celebrated majorly in Asian continent. Holi is an ancient festival which is celebrated by coloring each other with the help of colors. The celebration of this famous festival starts one night before by burning the woods which is known as “Holika Dahen”. On the very next day people colors each other with the dry colors and colored water. Some carries water guns some carries water balloons to color each others.
Date: Mostly in month of March
Location: India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and other Hindu regions
3. Cascamorras: This is a very famous festival that takes place in Baza. This festival’s history lies over a discovery of a statue that was almost 500 years ago. This grand festival is celebrated on 6th September of every year, on this day a villager from Guadix dresses up like a character of oddball which is called as “Cascamorras” and then the “Cascamorras” travels to 3 Km to baza for capturing the statue again. They use colored water and eggs to celebrate this joyful festival.
Date: 6th September
Location: Baza, Spain, in the province of Granada
4. Carnevale: This is one of the major festivals in Italy. People round the world come to Venice, Italy to participate in this amazing festival. This wonderful festival had been started from the 13th century, people all round the globe gather to take part in this wonderful festival. They mask their faces and enjoy the festival. This is one of the most joyful festivals in this world.
Date: Feb. 14–March 4 (for 2014)
Location: Venice, Italy
5. Up Helly Aa Fire Festival: This is a fire festival that takes place in Scotland. This festival is celebrated in the middle of winter every year to celebrate the end of Yule season. In this festival thousand of people make squads and march throughout the village or town in some different themed costumes. Earlier people use to drag the barrels of burning tar by making mischiefs. Later the permission of tar barrel was abolished in 1874-1880 and permission to torch was obtained. The first torch used in the march pass in 1876.
Location: Lerwick, Scotland
6. Tomorrowland: Tomorrowland is a very famous festival in Belgium. This festival consists of a very wide variety of music, basically this is an music festival. This festival takes place at the Boom, Belgium. This location is 16 kilometers towards south of Antwerp and about 32 kilometers towards the north of Brussels. This is one of the most famous music festivals in the world. This festival is celebrated since 2005.
Date: Final weekend of July
Location: Boom, Belgium
7. Mardi Gras: Mardi Gras is a very joyful and famous festival which is celebrated in the New Orleans. People in the Anglican and Catholic European nations majorly celebrate this festival. This festival is also known as Fat Tuesday. In this festival people eats healthy, tasty food on Tuesday, they celebrate to the midnight before the Ash Wednesday. People in this amazing festival party so hard that there is no other day.
Date: Tuesday (Fat Tuesday) before Ash Wednesday, in 2014, it’s on 4th March.
Location: New Orleans
8. Oktoberfest: Held in Munich, Germany every year, Oktoberfest is one of the largest fairs held in the world. It is a 16 day event, having a footfall of nearly 6 million people from all around the globe. It is an extremely important event and forms a vital part of the Bavarian culture. It proudly boasts itself of being the biggest beer festival across the globe and it should be visited by everyone.
Date: Last week of September till the first weekend in October
Location: Munich, Germany
9. La Tomatina: La Tomatino is a very famous and a very entertaining and enjoyable festival which is celebrated in Spain. This festival was started in 1945, when few people started throwing vegetables on a parade. After that incident they started throwing tomatoes on each other which is celebrated as Tomatina. This festival is full of fun and they follow some rules to celebrate this festival so that nobody gets hurt during this festival.
Date: On last Wednesday of August
Location: Buñol, Spain
10. Albuquerque International Balloon Festival: The Albuquerque International Balloon festival is celebrated every year in Albuquerque, N.M, United States. This festival contains a massive collection of hot air balloons, this is the world’s largest hot air balloon festival that contains about 750 balloons. This festival continues for 9 days, this festival was begun in 1972 to celebrate the 50th birthday of 770 KOB Radio, which was a Radio station.
Date: 5th October-13th October, 2014
Location: Albuquerque, N.M. United States