Top Ten Famous Sports of The World
We are here again with some of the famous sports of the world. Following are the top ten list:
1. Football: On the first spot for the world’s most famous games we have football. This game is also known as “soccer”. This game was first played on 19th December 1863 and later introduced in the Olympics also in the year 1900. This is a very interesting game and consists of two teams, each having 11 members. Both the teams have to score the goal by hitting the football or soccer ball into the opponent’s goal. This game is divided into two half’s both consist of 45 minutes each. The team who scores maximum goal in 90 minutes wins the match. Soccer just not played on International level only but is also famous in the local clubs of different countries. The highest governing body of the football is FIFA.
2. Tennis: Tennis is another very famous game in the world and was introduced in the year 1859. This is a very interesting game and requires a lot of physical strength to play. To play this game you require a tennis racquet and a tennis ball. Tennis can be played either singles, (against a single opponent) or in a team which can be mixed doubles also. This game became the part of Olympics in the year 1896. Tennis can be played on various types of courts like on grass court, clay court etc. Tennis consists of either 3 or 5 sets, the one who wins the maximum sets will be the winner of the game. The highest governing body of the Tennis is ITF (International Tennis Federation). Various International tournaments are also involved in this game.
3. Cricket: This is a very famous and entertaining game and was first played in the 18th century. Later it was introduced in the Summer Olympics 1900 (only). It is played onto a cricket ground on a 22 yards long pitch with the help of a bat and a ball. Cricket consists of two teams each having 11 members, both the team has to play according to the format and the one who scores the maximum runs wins the match. Cricket is divided currently into three formats, Test match, One Day International and T-20 match. Test match consists of 5 days and both the team has to play twice, the one with the maximum score in both the innings wins the match. One Day International is of a single day game in which each team has to play for 50 Overs and the top scoring team wins the match. The last format is T-20 which is very entertaining format, as this is an aggressive game which consist of only 20 Overs. The highest governing body is ICC (International Cricket Council).
4. Baseball: This is a very famous and aggressive game which is played with a base bat and a ball. Baseball is played in between two teams which consist of nine members each. Both the teams have to bat and bowl, the one who scores the maximum runs wins the match. Baseball was first played in the mid of 18th century. In this game the pitcher bowls and the batsman hits the bowl to score a run, he runs in a counter-clockwise manner around a series of four bases. A run is completed when the runner returns to the home plate. This game is very famous in North America and Europe.
5. Table Tennis: Table Tennis is also known as Ping-Pong which is a very famous sport and played in between two or four players. Table tennis consists of a small table tennis bat and a small light weight ball, it has to be played on a table that contains a net as a partition. The player hits the ball in such a manner that the opponent shouldn’t able to hit it back. The one who wins the maximum sets is the winner of this game. This game was first played in 1880 and this is an indoor game. Later this game was introduced into the Summer Olympics in 1988. The highest governing body of table tennis is ITTF (International Table Tennis Federation).
6. Basketball: Basketball is a very fast and aggressive game which is played on a rectangular court in between two teams. Both the teams consist of five members each. Basketball has two baskets on the opposite ends in which the players baskets the ball for the points. The one who has maximum points wins the match. Basketball was first played in the year 1891 and later became the part of the Summer Olympics in the year 1936. This is an indoor game but also be played outdoor as a streetball. The highest governing body of the Basketball is FIBA (International Basketball Federation).
7. Hockey: Hockey is another a very marvelous game which is played on rectangular ground in between two teams. Both the teams consist of 11 playing players who play this game with the help of a stick (Hockey). It has two goals on the opposite ends, each for both the teams. The team has to put the hockey ball in their opponent’s goal with the help of their hockey stick. This game has their own rules for playing, Hockey was first played in the mid of 18th century. This is a mixed gender game and was introduced in the Summer Olympics in 1908. The governing body of the Hockey is FIH (International Hockey Federation).
8. Golf: Golf is a very calm game and played with a golf stick or a club and a ball. In this game the golfer has to put the ball into the hole in the minimum strokes. It is played in an open field with natural elements like sand and water which is created manually. It was first played in the 15th century in the Scotland and later introduced in the Olympics also. This game has its own standard rules, the golf course consists of holes in which the golfer needs to put the ball in the minimum strokes. The highest governing body of the golf is IGF (International Golf Federation).
9. Rugby Football: Rugby Football is a very aggressive and fast game. This game requires a lot of physical strength and power as the players has to hold the ball in their hands and has to cross the line of the opponent’s team to score a point. This is a very famous sport in New Zealand and Australia. This game refers to two current sports, these are the rugby union and the rugby league. Both the games shares the same rules and regulations. This game is very interesting and the players involved in this are quite energetic. The highest governing body of the Rugby League is Rugby League International Federation and for the Rugby Union is International Rugby Board.
10. Volleyball: Volleyball is one of the famous sports of the world where two teams face on a plain field game separated by a central network, trying to pass the ball over the net to the floor attacking half. The ball can be touched or driven with clean shots, but can not be stopped, held, retained or accompanied. Each team has a limited number of hits to return the ball to the opposite field. Usually the ball is hit with hands and arms, but also with any other body part. One of the most peculiar features is that volleyball players have to be rotating their positions as they earn points. may touch the ball up to 3 times but individual players may not touch the ball twice consecutively. Typically, the first two touches are used to set up for an attack, an attempt to direct the ball back over the net in such a way that the serving team is unable to prevent it from being grounded in their court.