Top Eight Biggest Banks in the World
Following are top eight biggest banks across the world:
1. Industrial and Commercial Bank of China (ICBC): The ICBC is the world’s largest bank in the terms of assets and market capitalization. The Industrial and Commercial Bank of China is listed in one of the China’s ‘Big Four’ state-owned commercial banks. It was registered as a limited company on 1st January, 1984. By the end of the March, 2010 the total assets was about 12.55 trillion (US$1.9 trillion) in almost 18,000 outlets which was spread in more than 106 branches globally. The ICBC made their spot on the first rank on the global list of 2000 Forbes biggest public companies in 2013 and also it was ranked on the first position of the top 1000 World Banks ranking.
2. HSBC: HSBC is located in United Kingdom and is known as one of the four major clearing banks. The headquarters of the HSBC is located at the HSBC Tower, 8 Canada Square at the Canary Wharf area in the east London. The HSBC holds all the roles including private banking, investment banking, commercial banking, personal finance and consumer finance. The headquarters of HSBC contains a staff of almost 8,000 employees within the 42 levels they have. HSBC is the only bank amongst all the top five banks that holds more deposits then the loans. HSBC operates about 1800 sites in the UK.
3. Deutsche Bank: Deutsche is a German bank which is located in the Deutsche Bank Twin Towers in Frankfurt. The total number of employees working with Deutsche Bank is more than 100,000 over 70 countries. The major presence of the Deutsche Bank is in Europe, Asia-pacific and the America. Deutsche Bank holds the title biggest foreign exchange dealers in the world having a market share of more than 21 percent. Deutsche Bank has its offices in all the major locations for financial centers including New York City, London, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Dubai and many more. Deutsche Bank has its name on both the New York stock exchanges (NYSE) and Frankfurt (FWB).
4. Credit Agricole: The headquarters of the Credit Agricole is located at the 15th arrondissement of Paris, France. This bank was created on May 23, 2000 and was also titled by the Banker magazine as the world’s largest retail banking group in France and the second largest in the Europe and eighth largest in the whole world. The Credit Agricole is also a division of the CAC 40 stock market index. This is a very big bank having its presence in more than 60 countries and has more than 21 million clients globally. They are expanding their branches on a very fast and good scale.
5. BNP Paribas: BNP Paribas is yet another big name under the banks which is France. The headquarters of the BNP Paribas is located in Paris, France and their second major headquarter is located in London. Banque Nationale de Paris and Paribas in 2000 were merged together in the year 2000 to form BNP Paribas. In the year 2012, the BNP Paribas was declared as the world’s fourth largest bank in terms of assets which was measured by the Forbes. The BNP Paribas has done a profit of €3 billion in the year 2008 and €5.8 billion in the year 2009 with a great rise in growth percentage. The BNP Paribas has majorly four domestic markets that are Luxembourg, Italy, France and Belgium.
6. Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group: The Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group is Japanese Bank whose headquarter is located in Chiyoda Tokyo, Japan. This bank comes under the Mitsubishi group and is one of the major companies for them. Mitsubishi is the Japan’s biggest financial group. The Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group holds the record of world’s second largest holding company in the year 2011 with more than US$1.8 trillion assets. In the year 2013 they raised their assets amount to US$2.5 trillion. The Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group was formed on 1st October, 2005 when the Tokyo based Mitsubishi Tokyo Financial Group (MTFG) and the Osaka-based UFJ Holdings merged together.
7. Barclays: Barclays is a very famous name in terms of the financial groups. Barclays is a multinational financial company which is located in the London, UK. The Barclays is not only into the banking sector but also involved in retail operations, mortgage lending and credit cards, wealth management etc. The Barclays group has established themselves in more than 50 countries by having more than 48 million customers. By the end of 2011 the Barclays had total assets of US$2.42 trillion which was the seventh largest amongst all the banks in the world.
8. JPMorgan Chase: JPMorgan Chase is a very famous American multinational bank and financial services holding company. The JPMorgan Chase is the biggest bank in the United States and their total assets are about US$2.509 trillion. According to the Forbes magazine JPMorgan Chase is the world’s third largest company in terms of the composite ranking. JPMorgan Chase was formed when the J.P. Morgan and Chase Manhattan Corporation merged in the year 2000. The commercial headquarters is in located 270 Park Avenue, Midtown, Manhattan, New York City, New York, and the retail and commercial bank is headquartered in Chase Tower, Chicago Loop, Chicago, Illinois, United States.